Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 06-25-2010, 02:20 AM
Approved Member

Default official website for new il2 .?

hello

was just wondering, since we "seem" to get closer and closer to the release of the new il2, i think it is about time to make a new official website and a dedicated forum, no?

was just a though...
Old 06-25-2010, 02:28 AM
Approved Member

Apparently an SOW website is being worked on, but they don't seem to be in any kind of hurry to get it done. That said, who really needs one at this point. We are already getting all the info here that would be provided by a dedicated website.
Old 06-25-2010, 02:29 AM
Approved Member

Are you referring to the current 1C:Maddox project, known (for now at least) as 'Storm of War:Battle of Britain' - SoW:BoB, or to the next patch (4.10) for the IL-2 series?

I'd say that this is the forum for the patch, and SoW:BoB will probably get a dedicated site as soon as further release details are forthcoming - Oleg Maddox hinted that a site was being worked on, but not by his team.
Old 08-08-2010, 02:28 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJWest View Post
Are you referring to the current 1C:Maddox project, known (for now at least) as 'Storm of War:Battle of Britain' - SoW:BoB, or to the next patch (4.10) for the IL-2 series?

I'd say that this is the forum for the patch, and SoW:BoB will probably get a dedicated site as soon as further release details are forthcoming - Oleg Maddox hinted that a site was being worked on, but not by his team.
im referring to the new upcoming title "Storm Of War" or "Battle Of Britain" whatever it is...

and yes, since it all seems to get close to the "release" ?

it is definitely time to get a dedicated site and forum running up for it..
Old 08-08-2010, 06:31 AM
Approved Member

A dedicated website doesn't seem to be high on the developers priority list. Nor should it be. Their priority seems to be just getting the game done. Even if a third party is building the site they would have allocate needed resources to supply info for the site. The publisher will handle advertising when they know the time is right, not when we want it. That's their business.

People have been clamoring for websites and advertising for the past seven years. It would have been a colossal waste of money had they done what we wanted.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:10 AM
Tree_UK

I would imagine that we should start to see something 6 months to a year before the release date that seems to be the norm for most games/sims to start the marketing process.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:57 AM
Approved Member

They could use the publicity generated by the 70th BOB anniversary to advertise the sim if they have a homepage ready soon. SOW:BOB will probably be released within one year and there're enough beautiful screenshots to show + some general info about BOB, planes and a rough feature list, it's not too early to start making it known to a greater public now.

This forum is a rather hidden place and I doubt many people outside the hardcore Il-2/combat flight sim community know it. They shoudn't only rely on mouth to mouth propaganda if BOB should be a great success from day one.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:43 PM
Approved Member

A month before release is plenty of time for a website and advertising. I can only remember ever seeing one magazine article with an add for EAX, CFS1, and one other combat flight sim and even then they were in the same article. I've also seen one TV add for CFS3. There were a couple other magazine articles that were posted in the forums. These were for SOW.

Don't get me wrong, advertising is a good thing, but I wonder if there is enough interest in the genre to make excessive advertising worth the cost.

Personally I think most the clamor for websites and advertising are from people who are more interested in getting more info on SOW, than interest in seeing the company sell more of its product.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:01 PM
Tree_UK

ROF had a website up a running long before a release, currently only a handful of people (in real terms) know anything about SOW and unless you know where to look its hard to find much, Oleg stated in 2008 that there will be a dedicated website so he knows himself the importance of one, but i agree at this point in time there is no urgency because we are still a long way off completion, also as of yet we have not seen any high res promotional screenshots with full AA and AF in directx 11, so a website at this time would indeed be pointless because there is little to show.

Last edited by Tree_UK; 08-08-2010 at 10:02 PM.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:40 PM
Approved Member

A website will show people that SOW is not longer vaporware but released "soon". Even if we are still a year away from release it would be good to have a dedicated
homepage now. Without an expensive advertising campaign the news that development
actually comes to an end will spread slowly. A combat flight sim is a niche product,
it won't get much coverage in media. None hardcore fans may overlook it.

Any homepage for a sim in development won't need many screenhots. The Shogun 2:TW
homepage (release sometime around summer 2011) has currently just 3. The old Il-2
page did show the same screens from Oleg's development updates in it's screenshot section.

Also, there are many screenshoots that look good enough for advertising. Like the
various planes before blue sky or water, the spitfire in the wheat field or the
landscape from various altitudes.