View Single Post
Old 06-01-2011, 10:33 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip.ed View Post
So there ends the debate?
No debate to be had, in my view. I have an earlier version of the same company's 'UK Real Scenery' for FSX, and it's only ok.

As it's based on aerial photography, different sections have different colours according to the light conditions at the time the photo was taken. Just like Google Earth.
There are sharp, straight line divisions between the sections, again as in Google Earth.
There are no 3D trees, and very few 3D buildings. There are no dynamic shadows, so the shadows rarely match where the sun is according to the time of day.
I do enjoy the odd flight over Snowdonia, because for some reason Wales seems to have the best quality of photography. Some parts of the UK, and particularly Kent funnily enough philip, are absolutely awful.

Flying over the lakes in a Hawker Hunter during a Thunderstorm is also pretty cool. I'd post some screenshots, but I'm at work unfortunately!

I certainly wouldn't want this type of scenery in Cliffs of Dover, and I seem to remember Oleg saying that they wouldn't use photo scenery, possibly for the reasons above, although who's to say that '3rd party ' scenery might not become available at some future date for those that want it?

Last edited by ATAG_Dutch; 06-01-2011 at 10:41 AM. Reason: bad English!