Thread: Windows 8
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2012, 10:36 PM
Approved Member

Question I don't think so...

I don't think there are any issues with modding in Windows 8 and playing the same mod in Windows 7.

All the error messages I've received in Windows 8 seem to play fine in Windows 7, but when I fix them in Windows 8 so that I don't see the error message then they work great in Windows 7 as well.

They are mostly issues with "nil" values in the LUA code that I guess I must have missed, although I have an issue in Windows 8 with "clamping" of the Leadership Reduction counters that is not mentioned in Windows 7. I have not fully tested this out to see if the counter limits are simply being ignored in Windows 7. I've also had issues with how I was trying to use some of the animation LUA libraries and Windows 8 has helped me fix some of the errors in the animation sequences that I was doing.

I'm uncertain as to whether there is an actual problem in Windows 7 when it is not enumerating the same error messages in the code as in Windows 8, or if it is simply suppressing the errors and continuing to execute the code anyway (although I suspect that this is indeed the case).

But I've found that developing in Windows 8 seems to provide a better modding experience due to it being more strict with changes and I have to do a better job of coding to eliminate the error messages.

I've actually been able to fix a lot of bugs in my latest H3B mod (I hope to release soon) due to receiving error messages in code that I thought was working when I was developing in Windows 7. I haven't played with AP / CW, yet, but will provide my experience with them when I do...

Fortunately, I can dual-boot between Windows 7 & 8 right now and try certain things out in both (although I do have the transferring of save games issue I mentioned earlier).

Maybe a dev could chime in and let us know what their experience was...

/C\/C\