View Single Post
Old 09-16-2010, 10:49 AM
Approved Member

Predictably, my prophecy has unfurled.

Don't listen to the Grognards and Spielberg wanabee's chaps, this was excellent.

Well acted throughout, studiously avoided sentimentality, and conveyed superbly the world weary sense of ennui interspersed with terrible violence many of these pilots experienced, very sobering stuff and moving in parts.

Maybe the fact that it was so understated bothered some, I saw it as a strength. What would you have preferred, Tom Cruise as Wellum bursting into the mess with his Scientology Clown Hat on screaming

"MR PRESIDENT!!! Uhhhh....CHURCHILL!!! We have only 10 days to save Planet Britain, GODDAMMIT!!!"

*Brian Kingcome* I don't like this guy, he's dangerous......

*Cruise* DAMN RIGHT I'M DANGEROUS!!! GET ME THE PRESIDENT ON THE MUTHAF*KKIN PHONE!!!

Etc etc. We are British, after all.

There was a palpable sense of detachment too, you could empathise with why many pilots would avoid becoming too 'close' with colleagues, in the knowledge that they may well not see them the next day. Not all doom and gloom though, some great "gallows humour" moments and laughs too, and more than anything their resolve and fighting spirit shone through.

His 'first Spit flight' was excellent too, the musical score complementing it superbly. Gave a real sense of the elation and joy he was feeling, it was a beautiful part of the film and should be applauded.

Why do flight sim nuts always complain when you see a bit of skirt in a film or drama? What are you all, a bunch of raving GAYLORDS or something? *Not that there's anything wrong with that, of course* LMAO (BTW 'Grace' was well fit, very easy on the eye).

Its drama, and yes "romantic relationships" are a big part of life *Duh*. Me Tarzan, you Jane, and all that. Drama just reflects this. Christ. I give up.

They are all full of sh*t lads, it was very good. Point taken though Phil, it would have been much better as a series, "band of brothers" style, but people (as per usual) are being way too harsh. Yes the book is better (they always are! 'Condensed?' someone wrote? How do you fit a book into 1hr plus otherwise FFS?) For what it is, its well worth a watch.

Ok, righteous and indignant rant over Chaps.

Carry on.

Last edited by RCAF_FB_Orville; 09-17-2010 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Spelling