View Single Post
Old 04-12-2019, 10:11 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stugumby View Post
Russian:

2. R-5 is still a gutless wonder, wont climb out and overheats even at radiator 4 in a climb with 60%fuel and 6 fab 50. Also R-5 rear gunner dosnt have to change drums.
Unfortunately, the R-5's FM can't be much improved because it has become quite close to the real one. I have discovered, during beta testing, that the major flaw of the pre4.14 R-5's FM was that its lift capacity wasn't enough for it to fly to its service ceiling of 6200 m, being only able to fly up to 5200 m. Following tests had shown that it could finally fly properly without overheating too much. I've also found that the optimal power setting is 75-85% throttle to keep RPM above 1300 and prevent overheating. Best cruise IAS is between 145km/h and 160 km/h depending on your bombload.

If you want to compare the current R-5's performance to the real one you can download the original manual here :

https://ww2aircraft.net/forum/thread...5-manual.5243/

The manual states that the R-5 should be able to climb to 300 m after takeoff at full throttle in 25s without bombs. I've done some tests with the corrected FM during the beta, and I've managed to get to that altitude with 100% fuel.
Furthermore, the maximum water temperature is 75°C as indicated in the manual, so it is normal that the R-5 overheats rapidly.

I hope this helps you.