View Single Post
Old 04-11-2009, 09:47 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
I disagree, the translations are spot on. The game's plot is simply presented like a puzzle, and requires some effort to piece together.
I am sure they are, from a factual perspective. Yet, dialogue still felt sterile and clumsy at times (also it doesn't feel natural to have 1-2 seconds pauses during a conversation . What I meant to say originally, was that the translations seems like they were done externally by someone who never played the game.

Quote:
The ship hit the iceberg in May 1968, with the Captain later attempting to move the ship out to open waters, deliberately stranding it after hitting the iceberg.

The ship hit the iceberg in 1968 and was stuck in the ice, drifting for 13 years.
So, the ship hit an iceberg ("How did it happen?" - Captain). They spent 13 years waiting for help, turning slowly insane. The broke loose somehow, the captain was shot, they hit another iceberg, end of game? This kind of makes sense, but see below:

Quote:
They never found them. The Arctic is a big place.
Right, that's one possibility. What doesn't fit in all this, however, is the telegram that Alexander got. According to it, he was supposed to rendezvous with the North Wind in 1981, which means that a) authorities knew its exact position b) They obviously didn't know / care about the calamities which had taken place.

Quote:
It did not explode, it was vaporized by Kronos.
Agreed. Obviously Kronos was not OK with the captain / XO / Chief Engineer escaping. Or more probably the captain's death led to his appearance.

Quote:
It's supernatural, not explainable by science. The doctor in the sickbay even states, that he is unable to figure out just what the hell is happening.
So this supposedly is taking place during these 13 years of insanity. But apart from the metaphysical aspect there were obviously very physical changes.

Quote:
I assume it's the malevolent presence that infests the ship.
Right, but he looks exactly like Alexander -- his evil / turned-coldified self?

Quote:
It's there to make you feel better.
No, it's a bug and I hated the bear episode anyway Obviously it was meant to block your progress, but as I said, first time around I just crouched and got past it.

Quote:
Uh, no, that's not help, that's Alexander. It's a literary device used by Action Forms to emphasize that you saved all those people, by replaying the introductory sequence, this time with a welcome party and the captain saving you.
Right, it's pretty obvious from the telegram that Alexander was supposed to board the North Wind as a passenger.

Last edited by Breach; 04-11-2009 at 10:29 PM.