View Single Post
Old 11-08-2017, 07:20 PM
Approved Member

Lightbulb

Gentlemen,

I flew little in Bf 109s and they were mostly 109E and 109Z (yes, I'm pervert). So my knowledge of this family is limited.
But I'm not sure about the claim of irrelevance (or "coming too soon") of "engine overheat" message for ALL airplanes.
As I remember, it was not so important in earlier versions of the game but then the engine management was reworked somewhere between 4.07 and 4.10. Unless I'm wrong?
One of my favourite pastime today is hunting AI heavies in multiplay. (Or human piloted heavies - but they are so rare). When I do that in my trusted Bf 110 I have to remind myself to set radiators to full open before any attack. If that is not done and I don't react to warning message promptly - then engine(s) damage is inevitable. Of course, it happens just before I make my best shot ever or when I need to escape from gunners crossfire. Murphy's Law is part of the IL-2 code, I believe.

Sorry for going slightly off-topic. Just a humble opinion of the modest twin engine fighter pilot. Who prefers HUD messages to gauges because the latter are harder to read for weary eyes of the seasoned twin engine fighter pilot...