View Single Post
Old 10-21-2010, 05:35 AM
Approved Member

I agree with Korsakov.
There is very little that can be done with the suggested conflict.

Not only is there very little documentation out there, but as far as i can tell, there were very few actual battles too. The majority of the fighting took place in the form of small raiding parties with objectives such as destroying a compound or ambushing a convoy, and the sort. Very few of these were documented. (From what i've read anyway..)
The only big battle i have found was that which kicked off the conflict.
Naturally i could be wrong and there may be a heap of information i simply couldn't find, so if that's the case, it might help if you go into more detail on what the game could cover.

I also have to agree that the Soviet-Afghan war would be a great use of the GEM engine. With the inclusion of choppers in the Vietnam release it would be another step closer to being able to depict the Soviet-Afghan war.
That being said, i'm still busy playing CM:Afghanistan, so i'd much rather see something involving Chechnya....However, considering it's still on-going and quite a touchy subject, i wouldn't expect to see any game based on that for quite some time.

As for other suggestions, there's the Spanish Civil War, Yom Kippur and i'm sure many more that i can't think of at the moment.
There's also a lot more WWII battles/theatres that can be used. There are even numerous battles from WWI which i think would work well in the MoW universe.

Of course there's also the possibility of some "what if" scenarios. I realise the devs seem to prefer real conflicts that they can use for inspiration. But there's a whole Cold War era which could be explored.

Now a slightly different suggestion...
I think the devs have done a great job with stealth-based missions.
Those which don't require a combined-arms effort and frantic clicking, which instead focus on a small squad infiltrating an area to sabotage/capture/execute etc..They required skills, planning, precision and patience.

I realise alot of people complained about those missions but personally i found them to be excellent and only second to Commandos in the stealth-RTS department.
So if the devs were to release an entire MoW game focused on, say, Alpha Group, or maybe Vympel, i think it'd be a smash hit. (Yes Nike, i'm still bitter over the Alfa:Anti-Terror game never being released in English :p)
It would be great to have a game featuring some of Russia's more recent hardware and weaponry.

Could even throw in a handful of SAS/Delta Force/Navy Seal based missions to please those who don't like playing as the Russians.

But of course, that's just me wishing out-loud.....