View Single Post
Old 01-11-2010, 05:36 PM
Registered Member

Default One Step Forward, One Step Back

Ok. I think I understand this a little better. After I read the following, I decided to revisit the extraction process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gniarf View Post
Me I just had a 92kb executable+2 dlls.

I didn't install multiex commander, and painfull works, and I'm running win7x64 (but it used to work under xp64 aswell).

Odd indeed, perhaps commander was checking if a newer version was available, but you don't need that soft anyway. Xentax is, from my personal experience, trustworthy but I wasn't aware he'd made a pack (then again, I didn't check recently).
Norton reported viruses after I installed MultiEx Commander—not the XeNTaX Tool Pack. So, I decided to give the Tool Pack another try. The Painfull module came with a 92 KB executable, 2 DLLs—what you have—plus a ReadMe.txt file. Originally, I set Compatibility Mode to XP Service Pack 2, which didn’t work. Then I also ran the app as an administrator. It launched successfully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gniarf View Post
1-No ned to edit the pak files, just extract their content and edit it, no need to repack.
2-in \NecroVisioN\Data\levels\Level_03_The_Hill\Level_0 3_The_Hill.lua, put:
I extracted the contents of Levels.pak and have access to Level_03_The_Hill.lua. I have some questions about this process: Do I have to extract all of the files in Levels.pak and put them into \NecroVisioN\Data\levels\ (and delete the levels.pak file)? Or can I extract only Level_03_The_Hill.lua and put it into \NecroVisioN\Data\levels\Level_03_The_Hill\?

I did the latter, with your modification. That didn’t change anything. I still started the Chapter 3 with the Gew98 (and the crash). So, I took a closer look at Level_03_The_Hill.lua.

The Game.CachedWeapons table contains the weapons that will be available during the level. I see you replaced the Gew98 with the SMLE. Instead of replacing the Gew98 (it may be necessary later in the level), I added the SMLE to the cache. The Game.PlayerEnabledWeapons table contains your available startup weapons. “SMLE” needs to replace “Gew98” in that table. The self:StartWithWeapon object needs to change from “Gew98” to “SMLE”. Finally, the Player.Ammo table contains your startup ammo. The Gew98 starts with 30 rounds; the SMLE starts with 0. I don’t know at this point, if I need to swap the ammo to the SMLE or if the SMLE shares the Gew98 ammo, like the Luger shares the Colt ammo.

These modifications still didn’t work. I started the level again with the Gew98 (and the crash).

The fact that the SMLE was not cached for Chapter 3 implies that it doesn’t appear in this level. It appears in the Chapter 1 Lua file, but not in the Chapter 2 Lua file, which makes sense because the SMLE appeared in Chapter 1 and the Gew98 appeared in Chapter 2. Given the SMLE is not cached for Chapter 3, I wondered what else might be missing or require changing; so I looked for more cache data. Let’s look at Level_03_The_Hill.cache.

There are a whole bunch of tables here. However, most of them contain no data for the SMLE, which makes sense because the SMLE was not cached for Chapter 3. That could be problem if you tried to use it in Chapter 3. The CacheListModels table contains no SMLE data. I copied that in. Had to place in Position [57] because I don’t know if the position [#] makes a difference. The CacheListSounds table contains some SMLE data, but was missing nine lines of SMLE data, which I added, also at the end of the list, starting at Position [743]. The CacheListItems table contains no SMLE data. However, this table contains weapon clip and shape data (plus other stuff). I inserted data for the SMLE, again at the end, starting in Position [199]. The CacheListAnims table contains no SMLE data. I added that at the end of the table.

My point is: Even though I made the changes I noted above, I don’t know if there’s anything else I need to change to implement the SMLE in Chapter 3. For all I know, there may be other files that require modification. Or not? It says here that Chapter 3 contains 2,292 files in 16 folders. Big odds, there. Plus, a lot of the tables in the .Cache file use numbered vectors. If NVN accesses the data by using those numbers, it might not find the SMLE data that I added to the ends of the tables because the level may not be programmed to generate those numbers.

I copied the revised Level_03_The_Hill.cache file into \NecroVisioN\Data\levels.

No luck. The level still starts with the Gew98.

I peeked ahead, and although the SMLE loads in for Chapter 4, neither rifle appears in the CachedWeapons lists after Chapter 4. So, aiming the Gew98 may not be an issue later in the game. I hope all the other weapons continue to behave properly.

Unless you have another idea, I guess my best bet would be to live with the situation and try real hard to not aim the Gew98 in Chapter 3. If the problem persists in Chapter 4, I’ll move on to something else.

Thanks for all your help.