View Single Post
Old 04-22-2010, 11:20 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM_Von_Manstein View Post
The desire to conquer another country has nothing to do with Nazism. Obviously Manstein knew that many Russians would die in the process of the war. But that's what war is. Manstein or most German generals for the matter did not endorse genocide or racism. Rommel would have shot any soldier who displayed such ideals. Many German generals had a great deal of respect for Hitler, he saved their country, that's just human nature. Being professional soldiers they would like to see their country succeed in warfare, and obviously had a great deal of devotion to their country. But they were not devoted to Nazi causes. They did not believe in extermination, and as the war dragged on they knew that Hitler was destroying the country they loved. They knew that their service to their country meant nothing because it was being run by a mad man. But they carried on because they wanted to defend their people.
Youre missing the point. I will repeat it again. I suggest you go and read dossiers, field orders and personal entries of those Generals. As well Manstein. Then we can contiune on the subject. You seem to have a twisted view on the German military of WW2. I am not comparing the German OKH and its leaders to the Nazi party. But they have been more then just soldiers and many of those Generals did not only just accepted war crimes but also enganged with their troops in it some more others less it is NOT a simple black vs white scenario that for sure and to paint a acurate picture about everything is very hard maybe even impossible (we will knever know all details). But Germany spend the last 60 years working that history up. And I think if anyone has a good view about it then it are the German historians. And they spend a lot of time and effort in understanding characters like either Rommel or Manstein, Kluge, Witzleben, Tresckow etc. you name it. So believe it or not. There cant be a doubt that Manstein was part of all the war effords and played his role. How big that was and how much responsible he was as individual is up to historians to discuss. For sure there is a lot of conversity and yet not solved historical events ~ for example how close was Manstein to the Nazi doctrine really ?. But there cant be a doubt that he was more then just only a soldier and usual character by its time.

Also, "the others did it as well" rhetoric is =/= excuse. It is very unprofessional to argue that way regarding history and no serious historian would do that so we as usual people should not either. It shows a lack of fundamental understanding regarding WW2 and its causes. Its the same stupid rhetoric like comparing war crimes with each other for example which is a disgrace to the dead. Many of the right wing supporters label Dresden and the bombing as "allied war crime" for example. But thats foolish. Ever heard, they sow the wind and reap the whirlwind.

Quote:
As for the German generals being opportunists and supporters of the Nazi party. They might have believed in the changes made to the armed forces, but they did not believe in the Nazi ideals. They supported the Nazi Party because they wanted Germany to be powerful, not because they believed in it's politics.
Right, cause many of them did not believed in "defeating the communistic Untermenschen, called Russians, Balkans etc." is a good thing or at least not a bad thing. Dont be silly. Not everyone was a die hard Nazi. Probably only very few. But most of them did not had much condolence for Russians. Regardles if it was war or not. Because that :
Quote:
The deaths of soviets sounds pretty good to me.
Was what many thought about it.