View Single Post
Old 11-19-2011, 01:13 PM
Approved Member

Post First Reactions of Real Warfare 2

Hello everybody!

Before reading; This is some thoughts and reactions, not a list of complaints, but surely things that needs to be adjusted.

This is actually the first game I've bought from 1C Company. So now I would like to spend some of my time expressing myself about the game.

First of all, it's impressive graphics. Especially the particle effects, very nice job!
Overall, the campaign map is well made, but there could indeed be some improvements. The first problems I've noticed is that I cant see what any unit costs until I press the Buy button (Same with it's upgrades), and I cannot see what my hero skill points does (Their effect, what they improve). I was quite sure the game would include that after looking on the gameplay videos (Or am I mistaking ). I will perhaps return to this part of my "review" later.

The controls: After having played the Total War games a long time, I was very disappointed on the battle controls in RW2. The first thing I noticed was that strafing only works in one direction simultaneously, which is very annoying. It gives the player a feeling of that he/she has plenty more flanks to defend, and it's aswell really hard to get a good overlook on the army. I really hope that is something you will adjust, so that one can strafe oblique up/down, because that is something really worth fixing since it'd give a much better experience of the game.
The Formations are quite fine, and for pikemen there should be added the Pikewall formation.

The battles: First of all, the battle graphics are impressive aswell, with very nice particle effects. When it comes to the battling itself, some things did not look good. My first bad experience was when I had to defeat a smaller group of bandits (One of the quests), and when the map had finally loaded, my Komtur spawned on a mountain, unable to move an inch. So I reloaded, hoping it would not be repeatively. But the same thing happened. So I reloaded again, and on the campaign map I gave the AI army some time to move a bit, so it would not be the same map. Guess what - exactly the same map, with my Komtur on the same mountain. Not a very good first impression from the game.
Continuing, the battle scales are very good, big, (which I believe everybody likes ) but the units acts *Sorry* retarded. They are way too close packed, It's like a spaghetti-ball rather than normal spaghetti. Can just as well be a flat one-man unit. This makes the units, even tho huge numbers, looking really small. Continuing, as I said above, the units acts "retarded". For example when giving an archer / crossbow orders to fire, the unit takes about half a minute to open fire, and it also moves forward a good bit even tho the enemy unit is 20 yards away... The volleys looks terrible, because they fire as one unit rather than 70 individuals (or however big it is depending on upgrades). The fact that arrows barely do any damage at all should also be mentioned.

I hope this feedback will be of use, thanks for a great game you've delivered, and I hope that it can be even better soon!

Regards

Last edited by ThisIsRealWarfare; 11-19-2011 at 01:21 PM.