Thread: Fool's Cap
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2011, 12:34 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zechnophobe View Post
I don't think we are really disagreeing anymore, heh. We both use Dagger of Judgement over it, and I rarely end the game with it. But I have used the complete set over the Axe of lightning. In my head I break it down as:

1) Set bonus by itself( +20% crit) is better than the +10% crit of the axe.
2) Jolly roger bonus if considered to be taking up the slot the dice takeup is pretty good on top of that.
3) Fools cap not completely terrible, if you have two hat slots.

As for crit calculations, the crit damage you deal is = 1.5*(Maxdamage) of a unit. So a 16 to 20 unit deals 30 on a crit. This means that the same average damage doesn't yield equal crit values. A unit that deals 14-22 damage also averages 18 (like 16-20 does) but crits for 33 instead of 30.

So, your average damage is that base value + chanceOfCrit * CritDamage. So 18 + .10*30 = 18.3. Paladin's do not crit parcitularly Well!

My calculations for crit numbers was also based on morale. +2 Morale grants 130% of CURRENT crit value, not base.

So if you start with 10, and have 30 from other sources, you get 40, and then you multiply that 40 by 1.3 and get 52. Morale on low level units basically just gives you more Crit chance, since the percent boost to their base stats isn't very useful. This is why Voice of The Dragon is such a must! Two morale on a black dragon gives it +14 attack and defense! (And of course 130% chance of critting)
Actually, based on my math, I think Jolly Roger is better in a lot of practical cases, even though I would naturally pick Dagger of Judgement. However, I forgot to account for scaling critical bonuses due to morale.

I think the only hero that lets you get a hat is Trigger.

I'm fully aware of how morale works, if I didn't I would never have toted on the power of Goblins. They can reach 100% critical very easily due to +10 morale after first kill. It also makes all +crit items extremely powerful with high morale teams.

I don't agree with your average damage mathematics, and I believe mine makes more sense.

Quote:
So, your average damage is that base value + chanceOfCrit * CritDamage. So 18 + .10*30 = 18.3. Paladin's do not crit parcitularly Well!
10% of 30 is 3, not 0.3, but nevermind that detail as something else is wrong.

So, if you had a 100% chance of doing a critical, using your formula, your average is 18+(1*30) or 48?

Your base formula is still clearly wrong since you can never do more than 30 damage per hit.

My method accounts for this.

At 10% critical
18*(1-0.1) + 30*(0.1) = 19.2
18*(0.9) + 3 = 19.2
16.2 + 3 = 19.2

At 100% critical
18*(1-1) + 30*(1) = 30.
18*(0) + 30 = 30
0 + 30 = 30

Back to voice,

Voice of the Dragon costs a LOT of runes, and as I have stated many times, Dragons just don't really do a lot of damage. They are very tanky though, have shoot-through no-retaliation hits, and some no-retaliations abilities, but all in all they just aren't crazy damage dealers compared to the other units I have access to.

I just find myself never having enough runes to get all the abilities I want and Voice of the Dragon. I suppose that is the ONE saving grace of being a Paladin Class, but I rarely play Paladins.