Thread: FOV settings
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2012, 11:56 PM
Approved Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapatista View Post
there is no complex mathematics involved at all

for 95% of il2/CoD players they sit at roughly an arms length from their flat screen monitors. monitor size for them varies from 19 to 30' , and the viewing distance is determined by the monitor technology (lcd in this case). some sit a little closer then that, some a little further away, but it wont vary by much. hence it is pretty simple for each of those screen sizes (19, 20, 22, 24, 25, 27, and 30) to determine with a basic formula what the correct FoV is, and once set to this value the player can see all ingame objects in their correct sizes, and knowing the object they look at they will know from its size what the distance is. for my 27' pc screen that FoV is 50 or 55, and in il2 i had that set to my "normal" keyboard key, and was able to use quick snap views to 35 or 90 FoV to briefly overcome the limitations of sitting behind a pc monitor rather then look out of a real cockpit in ww2.

the fact a large number of il2/CoD players never made that mental leap results in them either playing in a dinky-toy world where all objects have shrunk (and hence it distorts distance perspective) when set to an artificially wide FoV, or they are playing superman flightsim by giving themselves "magic magnification" eyes to zoom in and spot minuscule objects on the ground no ww2 pilot would ever find.

its a very different experience flying around in the il2/CoD world with the correct FoV and limit yourself to that most of the time, its err well you know, more "real".

it absolutely boggles the mind that luthier has succeeded in leaving out simple well working features that existed in the il2 series, and right now for CoD as a result is PREVENTING people from seeing the CoD in-world objects (and scenery) correctly.
Adony's Viewpoints aside for a second (which are actually all valid - excuse the pun!)

I think you are confusing object scale & distance with FOV and making a mountain out of a mole hill.

I'm also sorry to have to break it to you, but there is absolutely no way a 27" can render anything to actual real life scale with any degree of usable FOV.
You would need a 100" hi res screen to approximate real life scale and FOV properly with a 180degree FOV. Only then would you have a real appreciation for distance and scale which I think your talking about.

It's not ideal that we have to make all these work arounds to get variable FOV but as has been demonstrated there are several ways around it.

The perfect scenario would involve having the screen at the seating distance of the retical as it would be in a real cockpit and the retical to real life scale. Obviously this dictates the need for a massive hi res screen as per above!

I'm afraid I too just don't get the thinking behind your scale and distance argument? Perhaps you could explain it more. Politely of course!