View Single Post
Old 11-04-2013, 11:45 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaQSoN View Post
So, the question is, what the heck are you arguing about, or what do you requesting?
I don't have a twist stick for rudder and maybe it was a concession that the designers made to accommodate those players at the expense of those who have flight rigs that have rudder pedals that include separate axis for individual toe brakes.

So since you are asking what we are requesting, we want to have the left toe brake stop the left main gear wheel (brake) and the right toe brake stop the right main gear wheel (brake); two separate independent functions. We want to pivot on each wheel without being required to provide rudder input all of the time in the revetment area or on a carrier deck. The game lets us edit the settings file in the user/pilot folder to add the Y-axis for the brakes, but it does not give us a separate function such as left or right brake. We should be able to steer the plane on the ground using only the toe brakes if we have a flight rig that has the feature such as CH Pro Pedals and other pedal systems.

The P-38 in the game cannot taxi with only one engine running like the Real Life plane could regardless of how we adjust the throttle and propeller pitch in the game.

I have a P-38 Training DVD (which I just watched again). Both the Lockheed Test Pilot and a USAAF Pilot converting to the P-38 from a single seat fighter took turns simulating the loss of one engine during takeoff, in flight and also landing. They shut down the right engine and feathered the right propeller. They chose to simulate right engine failure because only the left engine has the electrical generator connected to it. If they shut down the left engine they would have been running only on the battery. They had to trim the plane in order to compensate for the torque of single engine use. Both the test pilot and the trainee each landed the P-38 with only one engine and and taxied to the parking area without spinning in circles like we do in the game.

I also have a P-39 training DVD which also talks about using just the left or right brake to turn the plane around the stopped wheel when maneuvering in a tight space among other aircraft.