View Single Post
Old 04-12-2008, 03:02 PM
Registered Member

Default Helpful (learned) tips on how to get gold victories. (Part 3)

10. Unit force pool experiences. Following is the unit pool breakdown (from a human perspective) that I have found to be the most effective in almost every scenarios.

a. Deploy all heros. (rather obvious)
b. 1-2 Scouts/Rangers. These guys are a *must* have and you need 1 per axis of advance.
c. 2-3 Archers / Crossbowmen. A *must* have as well. Be aware of the differences of Archers / Crossbowmen and how their *perks* differ as they level. I found myself using 1-2 Archers and 1 Crossbowman.
d. 1-2 Heavy Infantry. You need someone to shield your archers as you push forward. I personally preferred the pikeman.
e. 0-1 Lt Cav. I really like these guys, but remember to not treat them the same as your scouts/rangers as they don't fight nearly as well in wooded terrain.
f. 0-1 War Machine (Ballista/Catapult). I never used the catapult and relied on the ballista as it was the 1st free War Machine given. As it levels, it gets some very nice perks to include one for long range (range 4!) and monster/hero/war machine slaying (which is very nice). These guys can bring down those pesky trolls without breaking a sweat.
g. 0-1 Hvy Cav. I have a love/hate relationship with heavy cav as they are sooo situational... and when the situation arises when you need them, they need to be at the right spot to be useful. Typically only useful in clear and should not be used to defend or hold anything. I kept one around because I liked the idea of having one around, but I found it not really doing much most of the time.
h. 0-1 Lt Infantry. Overall a good unit, especially for all that forest that is in the game. Good mobility is also nice. I prefer to deploy 2 rangers before I get around to 1 Lt Infantry, so I did not use them much in the scenarios that only allowed limited number of units.
i. 1-2 Fliers. Need control of the skies in order to crack most defense positions. Good coordination between archers / fliers is important to quickly bring down enemy air units. They also serve as defensive support, which is a nice boon. For the humans, I found the non-bombers more versatile as they could be used in both air superiority or ground support roles. After you get a couple of levels, they could be very effective ground support and can decimate an enemy caught on a river quite nicely.