View Single Post
Old 08-05-2010, 09:19 PM
Registered Member

I think this needs a correction. I am loading up the game to play again, but as far as I understand the ending, you corrected the timeline, therefore the northwind and it's crew existed in the future to pick you up as per the transmission you had received from the "correct" timeline. Therefore all the crew are alive (though obviously aged from the counterparts we see in the flash backs). For whatever reason, possibly due to radioactivity and wierd science initiated by the nuclear drives on the vessel, there were two timelines. 1 in which the Northwind goes under after fatal reactor collapse. 2 your timeline in which the Northwind experiences a faultless journey and survives to be your ride home in the future. It would seem that the Northwind DID infact have a fatal reactor collapse and disappear. YET, your character in the future recieves a letter that he is to be picked up by the Northwind on a certain date defining the anamoly created in the past due to the reactor collapse. This suggests that the drives on the Northwind were creating some sort of temporal ambiguity that was propagating into the future. After destroying the mutual timelines and recreating the new single timeline...there is really no where else for this tale to go...

If someone were to make a fanbased mod or game, it should probably abandon everything from the original storyline. Maintain the noteworthy effects and style of play, throw in some clear theoretical science and/or philosophy to explain what is happening.

To the OP: Cryostasis is more referencing a temporal bubble outside of time, than the ice effects used to enhance the game. Focusing on ice in a sequel, makes it seem like you are abandoning the actual concept of the game for the imagery.