Thread: Artillery
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2010, 08:04 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightFandragon View Post
I know Katyushas are butter but killing tanks w/ Hummels? how haha.
With a hit to the engine or the top of the turret. Its dificult with heavy armor. But it can work sometimes. I destroyed pershings, panthers and other tanks that way. Though not intentionaly usualy. Its more a rare situation. And takes 2 Hummels since its increasing the rate of fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightFandragon View Post
How is the Su 152 no good?
Cause its neither a good tank killer nor a good artillery. Its a "do it all" unit.

To be a succesfull tank killer it lacks the needed accuracy. To be a succesfull artillery unit it has not enough shells, lacks range and compared to usual artillery the arc of fire is to flat (buildings and obstacles can block it). The SU122 for example is a better infantry support unit it can fire fast is quite powerfull and has enough shells. It also can be deployed behind obstacles. The ISU152 is far from beeing useless. Its a nice unit if deployed carefully and I prefer it to the SU100 cause the ISU has also a 12mm MG on its top which is extremly usefull. But its easy to take it out once you spoted it cause as already said its size makes it visible and easy to hit. The ISUs gun makes a big part of its front which means to hit it is very likely loost my ISU that way often enough cause the acuracy isnt that great and the enemy would damage the gun. Killing the Tiger II from the front is also more a rare situation It never happend to me (it was always a shot to the side or the side of the turret while aiming at the enemy). Remember the turret of the Tiger II is quite vulnerable on its side. I would like to see more effects when the Tiger II is hit by the ISU HE shell on the front. Maybe not destryong the vhicle but killing the crew inside eventualy.

But well artillery isnt the first choice of killing tanks though. Dont forget it happens many times that at some point most of the infantry is dead with artillery and they will start to shoot tanks. It usualy doesnt take it out with the first hit though.

And by the way artillery has been used a few times to destroy tanks. Of course not with one gun but with a whole barrage involving several guns. But still.