View Single Post
Old 12-18-2021, 02:42 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igo kyu View Post
I do not fly full realism.

My eyes and monitors get dark with age, so I use the icons to spot distant aircraft. I don't appreciate being shot through clouds that I can't see through, so they're out (I'm using the ?4.11.? that comes with the Ultimate edition, I'd like something later, but it's what I have). I was concerned to find that the P40 would break up in level flight, so vibration destruction is off.
My eyes are not the best anymore either. I don't think there is anything wrong with using icons for flying offline. ten to twenty years ago the best IL2 pilots and best servers were all hard-settings. It was a joy to be able to ID the aircraft at a distance by the silhouette as real pilots did. I do not believe the P40 has any problem in level flight. In the patch when the p40 first appeared, which was probably over 15 years ago, it would break up in a dive at a certain speed, and it was fun to get p40 pilots to follow your bf109 in a dive if they got on your tail and have them explode. No matter what the patch I destroyed a lot of over-eager pilots of Russian aircraft by baiting them into following my fw190 in a dive.

The type of aircraft has no bearing on victory in aerial combat though, as every aircraft does something better than the aircraft it is flown against, and a smart, educated pilot will know these things and be able to use them to an advantage.

The wonderful thing about the hard settings servers back in the day was that you could get the element of surprise, bouncing enemy aircraft from altitude, even if you were in a slow aircraft. I shot down jets with the I-16 this way. Also I used to fix the 20mm cannon in the nose of the He-111 bomber to straight ahead and sit in it's nose and bounce allied fighters with it and shoot them down, it was fun to knock down fighter planes with a bomber. Lots of great memories. You can punch "jumoschwanz" into YouTube and find the channel I set up for old IL2 tracks I saved, some of the tracks are almost 20 years old.