View Single Post
Old 08-27-2008, 05:48 PM
Approved Member

Agreed, it's an arcade game with an arcade DM, but....GAWD, LOOK AT THOSE TRACERS

It certainly looks amazing and if BoB is anything like it we're in for a really great ride. We just need the sound effects to go with it.

I can't help but crave the "shock factor" i get with every new sim i fly. How it looks and more importantly, how it sounds the first time you get in a tight spot in your new sim...The first burst of flak close to you, or the sound of gunfire connecting with your airframe.

I remember instinctively lowering my head below my instrument panel the first time i dashed through a formation of He-111s in European Air War in my Hurricane.

Getting a feeling of mounting anxiety as the flak grew louder, only to jump up in my seat when it got too close for comfort, as if i had no warning at all about it, even though the past 2 minutes i was watching the barrage form in B-17:The Mighty 8th.

Thinking "oh sh!!!! it's gonna break apart!!!" when i first pulled some extra Gs in Red Baron II and heard the wings start creaking, or heard the sound of fabric getting torn.

And i also remember being in awe at the complexity of gunnery the first time i fired up the IL2 demo, the never before seen visual accuracy and, for the first time, a believable sense of speed and the forces acting on a fighter plane, frightening speed, so much that i was thinking "i can't control this thing, it's too fast and big a piece of machinery for me" as my P39 was dashing down the runway (yes, i've been around from the time of the first release, even though i'm not much of a pilot against online opponents).

Now if we're lucky, we'll get all this and more in BoB as well. Scare us Mr Maddox, like we're about to burn in that Hurricane for real