View Single Post
Old 04-01-2011, 08:43 AM
Approved Member

Default Couple of questions, need some help.

Hey there. Just got TOW: KOREA, and it is the first time I've ever got a TOW game to run half-decently on my computer. Don't know if it's the extra Ram or an improved game engine, but anyway, I still have a few difficulties/questions.

First, I have finished the stock US campaign on Veteran, and found it to be pretty easy. The enemy is easy to defeat then I just chase them, never allowing them to resupply until they are out of fuel or surrounded and can't retreat and scratch one battle group--next. Rinse repeat. So I would like to generate my own campaign to make things more challenging, perhaps fighting the Soviets at a numerical disadvantage. But I would like to at least have the use of the M46 Patton tanks in my Battle Groups, since the Soviets seem to have access to Stalin 3s and worse. But when I go into the Order of Battle screen to select my units I see Shermans, Chaffees, and Jacksons, but no Pattons. ? I made sure to make my campaign start date late enough that M46s would be available. Any one know what I'm doing wrong?

Second, I am having some trouble with game crashes. If anyone knows some tweaks to make the game run more stably, please point me to them. System is:

Windows Vistaâ„¢ Ultimate (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2 (6002.vistasp2_gdr.101014-0432)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
System Model: Inspiron 530s
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E4600 @ 2.40GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
Memory: 3326MB RAM
Page File: 1389MB used, 5876MB available
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT

General Gripes:

Why can't I load a machine gun or a mortar on a truck, or a helicopter?

Why can't tanks and recon armored cars tow artillery, or carry a few infantry on the hull?

Why are rifles and submachine guns destroying my half-tracks, not to mention my Tank Destroyers?

Why can't I see the AT gun that is right in front of my tank after carefully inching up to it using the terrain for cover?

Why can't my infantry see the AT gun that is right in front of them after carefully crawling five hundred yards to a position overlooking the damn thing?

Why do 45mm Russian pea-shooter AT guns shoot holes in the frontal armor of my Shermans like they are made of cardboard?

Why did the AT gun blast my tank after I used mortars to create a giant smoke-screen to prevent just that from happening?

When I think of more, I'll add them. Fun game, but some of the stupid shit can really make ya wanna throw something.