View Single Post
Old 06-24-2011, 12:58 PM
Approved Member

Thing is that currently no-matter what you do there is the horrible pop-up no-matter what the detail setting you have. All I see is Popcorn buildings bursting out of the ground, all appearing in an invisible bubble around the plane which means that once that bubble goes over the land anything inside is drawn (pop up), anything outside is an obscure block lacking detail or not even visible, until it suddenly appears.

For online play I can understand that having objects set on would be a fair choice (or everything off) but for a solo-player (offline) I want to concentrate on my combat rather than choose a sight-seeing flight, which isn't very satisfying when the landscape detail (objects) don't appear authentic.

It is obviously a fine balance, but seriously the pop-up is exactly the same as the old IL2 and is an embarrassment when you consider the detail that can be rendered in games since (RoF does a great job as does Wings of Prey).

I understand that Clod uses a completely different system and comparison with RoF and WoP isn't fair due to the map size being smaller, but there has to be a more efficient way to blend the drawing of objects into the scene rather than the very amateur appearing block drawing technique.

Why can't an anisotropic filtering technique be used to just blur detail after a certain distance which then steadily bleeds in to sharpness? I am not a programmer just a virtual pilot who hopes for a step forward from the original IL2 in draw distance.

Cheers, MP