Thread: Bf109 test data
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2012, 12:44 PM
Approved Member

Hi Klem, as you have seen there is no getting around the bunfight of choosing which tests to regard! I agree that as we have the DB601Aa in CloD, we may as well use the Swiss tests, which are pretty consistent with the rest of the flight test data anyway. I expect that Kurfust might present his opinion that the SL performance in this test is low because the supercharger was locked into high altitude gear. Myself I believe this is unlikely, and there is no documentation supporting such usage (just the possibility it could occur).

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41Sqn_Banks View Post
There is nothig preventing the pilot from using this boost during combat at ground level. However there is no evidence at all that this boost was authorized or even used against regulations (e.g. pilot anecdote) for any other condition than take-off. Of course power and speed can be higher if the engine is mistreated, but this incorrect handling should not be considered during performance dicussions and should actually be penalized by the game.
This is quite interesting...from Steinhilper, we know that 109 pilots tried revving their DB601 over limits to gain extra boost around FTH, which was only approved subsequently. If the 1.4 or 1.45ata clockwork boost worked at any altitude, surely it would have been used. It is intriguing that no anecdotes or reports exist!

camber