View Single Post
Old 04-13-2008, 03:46 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianGray View Post
c. 2-3 Archers / Crossbowmen. A *must* have as well. Be aware of the differences of Archers / Crossbowmen and how their *perks* differ as they level. I found myself using 1-2 Archers and 1 Crossbowman.
d. 1-2 Heavy Infantry. You need someone to shield your archers as you push forward. I personally preferred the pikeman.
e. 0-1 Lt Cav. I really like these guys, but remember to not treat them the same as your scouts/rangers as they don't fight nearly as well in wooded terrain.
f. 0-1 War Machine (Ballista/Catapult). I never used the catapult and relied on the ballista as it was the 1st free War Machine given. As it levels, it gets some very nice perks to include one for long range (range 4!) and monster/hero/war machine slaying (which is very nice). These guys can bring down those pesky trolls without breaking a sweat.
A few comments:

1. I find Crossbowmen line far inferior to the Archer line, because of the multiple support shots the upgraded Archers get. I never build any Crossbowmen.

2. Could you elaborate on why you prefer Pikemen over Foot Knights? I prefer the latter's defense, as heavy infantry is meant to be a meat shield.

3. Light cavalry sucks, and I've yet to find use for them that cannot be done by another sturdier unit.

4. I no longer build war machines, because they need too much baby sitting, due to their defensive vulnerabilities.