View Single Post
Old 06-26-2020, 07:11 PM
Approved Member

Default SB-2 and La-5FN flight model bugs

So nobody really flies bombers, but I decided to test the SB-2, 1937 model. This plane shares the age-old flight model bug with the La-5FN:

You can yank the stick all the way back and the plane does not stall or snap roll, no matter how fast or how long you pull the stick. While the La-5FN (FN = For Newbies) has its place as the eternal training wheels place, the supermaneuverability on a two engine bomber really seems like a design oversight.

Once again: compare the flight model of La-7 with La-5FN (or earlier La-5 models) and you'll know the difference. While the La-7 has better performance, at least it takes some skill not to stall the plane.

Side notes:
- I really didn't know how good the Fw-190D9 is... well, if you fly it at medium to high altitude. Now, if I could only improve my gunnery a bit more
- Ki-45 turns really well. Not that I'm complaining in any case!
- P-47 8 x guns are still awesome
- Some of the old .ntrks are invalidated with each version update. A pity
- Does anyone have a new version of il2compare, updated for the 4.14.1?

All in all, I really have to admire how this game has been kept alive, even if it's not the ultra-hardcore-knob twisting hypersimulator by today's standards. It's horrible how some games are abandoned (Rise of Flight) to be resold for a cash grab (Rise of Flight x Il-2BoX: Electric Boogaloo), drm-ridden and outlandishly priced (DCS), not a real sim (War Thunder) or stagnating in its own sweat like Aces High 2. Now that's a crap game that hasn't shed any of it's fundamental flaws for the last 15 years!