View Single Post
Old 08-13-2009, 01:52 PM
Approved Member

nice effort cooking something up. i just thought about how a sequel might look like and then i stumbled upon your post. while i like your design changes (newspapers), it seems you haven't understood the game and that's why your plot would make little sense as a sequel. all characters in the game are dead, including nesterov. so having them return to their home town is out of question. also, the whole part with the acceptance speech and then something happening during something public like that seems like a cheap plot from countless cheesy american action movies. it's the russian background that makes cryostasis so intriguing. your storyline sounds as if it would fit a duke nukem clone.

also, eskimos as enemies wouldn't make much sense. what the enemies in cryostasis are is arguable. according to the manual they are not living, but might have lived in the past (warden), while others seem to have been created from a higher power (servant). to me (and also to many others) these are manifestations of the dead seafarer's emotions, namely their fear and anger about their captain's decisions, which in the end led them to abandon him. that's why nesterov is sent back by chronos to correct their mistakes and to instill trust into their captain again.

the only thing where a sequel could be pulled off by using nesterov would be to go a step further and start where the game ended: on the ship. where does it go? why was nesterov chosen? why did chronos want that the seafarers gain trust in their leader again, even though only in death? why did he choose nesterov for this job? those are all questions a sequel could answer.

if your version would be made it would be ripped apart by those who loved the game as a pure commercial release that was made to cash in on cryostasis' uniqueness and which had just thrown the original characters back in to fool people into believing it would progress the original storyline, while it would be nothing more than a cheap fps-knock off and we have seen far too many of those already.

i mean, low fish supply? really? did you even think about all of the philosophical aspects of the game? did you give some thought to the prologue and epilogue and the danko analogy? it looks like your inuit goddess of snow is supposed to be the baddie in your story, but isn't she supposed to replace danko? danko, however never even had anything to do with any of the characters in the game and serves only as a metaphor to mirror the game's occurances with those of the fairy tale...

Last edited by Xiaopang; 08-13-2009 at 03:58 PM.