View Single Post
Old 01-13-2011, 09:08 PM
Registered Member

I strongly disagree with Gunslinger's view.

I have been looking forward to this new sim a LOT. For years. In spite of that, if there is much DRM to speak of when the sim gets released I will not buy it. I won't pirate it either - I'm not one of those "have your cake and eat it" types. I would boycott a sim that I have been anticipating more than any PC game released for years. Because DRM is wrong, that's my view, as simply as that. It doesn't work, it inherently cannot work. Give up on trying to stop the people who never pay for games from never paying for games (a radical concept, to be sure), and quit alienating the people who, for the moment, still respect you and will pay you for your work. "You" being publisher and developer combined - I don't care if the DRM was implemented by the publisher against the developer's wishes because I have no way of making that clear in a way that counts... I can't pay the developer without paying the publisher (I would often very much like to, though! ). I think that if a publisher says they are going to put DRM on a game the developer should look for another publisher. Publisher-imposed DRM is detrimental to their interests, in both the short and long term. DRM doesn't improve sales, leads to boycotts (among angry internet-folk at least ) and it turns hearts and minds against you so that a person who was enthusiatic about your work before is less so in the future.

I think I must be tired, the above paragraph is pretty "foaming at the mouth". Ah well, I stand by it.