View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012, 08:20 PM
Approved Member

Congratulations MysticPuma on finishing this true masterpiece of documentary film-making!!

Salute!!!

This film (parts I and II) matches, and in many aspects exceeds, the quality of History Channel's documentaries of WWII aviation related events and participants.

In that regard, I was pleased to see that one of the Vets noted the failure of the Hollywood "Redtails" movie to accurately, or realistically, portray aerial combat events in spite of their EXPENSIVE CGI. Hollywood (and History Channel) CGI companies haven't got a clue about the "Physics" of aerial flight, just as the screenwriters don't have a clue about aerial combat and/or the behavior of real-world WWII (or WWI) pilots. The Star Wars type X-Fighter(and Tie fighters, etc) laser-like and Physics-defying maneuvers were also seen in the recent "Flyboys", "Red Baron", and the earlier ridiculously bad "Pearl Harbor!

The re-creation of historical aerial combat events/engagements using IL-2 "footage", and now possible with Cliffs of Dover as well, can bring the written accounts of historians and the memoirs and spoken words of interviewed Vets to life on the screen as never before. Again, the vets confirmed that they saw realism in your IL-2 recreations of their experiences.

I'm hoping that members of the ClOD community, specifically those making ClOD videos and movies, will be motivated by your masterpiece and will grasp the opportunity themselves to produce short movies telling other documentary-type stories of WWII Aerial combat.

Again, thanks for producing this marvelous work, which I hope you are planning to market for possible broadcast on BBC or elsewhere...such as at the aforementioned History Channel. I should think that there is an audience out there far larger than just that of the Flight Sim community and other WWII-related Internet communities.

DR