View Single Post
Old 07-10-2010, 06:52 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chortles View Post
(unlike safoolfool I didn't notice any decrease in close-quarters accuracy)

Note that I haven't actually used any of these settings in game. I'm just looking at the numbers, and seeing what I think should happen. To add an even further distance from what is actually going on, as R@S said, the graphs don't always match up with what's really going on. So I'm using the numbers to visualize the graph, and then using the graph to approximate the real range. My gibbering is then in the "mountain of salt" category, I guess.

That said, by changing from curves with really steep dropoffs to linear descents, you should get less close in accuracy.

To help go through my thoughts:

The red is whats going on now: short range, steep dropoff/inflection point in the middle. The blue is what I see happening in the alt file, linear descent, more overall range, but this means that for a little while the blue curve is beneath (less accurate than) the red curve. Of course it could always be that the alt file increases range so much (green curve) that it never actually dips below the red curve. Add to that the fact that a lot of the curvatures seem to be ~.7, which ends up looking like limp string: instead of a straight line it actually bows in a bit, meaning they'd be a good bit less accurate close in.

Eidt again:
Quote:
He also made the following discoveries about the graphs:
The red and the yellow bar is what your gunfighting does
The green is your shooting ability
The blue is your sniper ability
The gray is what the weapon can do
In case it was confusing, I'm using red/green/blue in my graph to represent the "standard" (gray) curve in three different scenarios, not aimed/hip/scoped.

Also, in case you've never done it, try opening up the range graph and messing with plugins. You can see the yellow quick aim line go in and out as you un/replug a collimator, and you can see the red hipshot line go in and out as you unplug a laser.

Edit: take a look at shotguns. The range numbers don't seem to have changed much (slight increase in max range), but the curve goes from 5 for all of them to 20 for all. What's going on there?
I dunno, I'll play with it in game later, right now I'm talking out of my ass.

Last edited by safoolfool; 07-10-2010 at 03:09 PM.