View Single Post
Old 07-14-2010, 06:59 PM
Approved Member

I think this is an important area - if well realised, it could open this simulation up to a whole new crowd. I don't use icons myself, however I can understand how necessary they are.

Some thoughts from me.

Player refers to us, pilot refers to the character the player is controlling.

Bogie at your 9 o'clock, 2km away. No icon shows up until the player actually bring the dot into his vision for an appropriate time - dependent on difficulty level: for example 'easy' being 1 second, 'hard' being three or more, the idea being to prevent players simply flicking around all the views and 'lighting up their radar', so to speak. The time delay involved with having the dot in view corresponds to the pilot 'searching for it'.

Once 'noticed', the icon/dot/indicator (as yet, unrecognised, merely noted) can remain on the edge of screen for a relative time corresponding with blind spots in the aircraft and again difficulty level. At some point, if the dot occupies a blind spot for long enough or the player simply does not look in that direction again, then the icon disappears, as the pilot can no longer be sure where that previously sighted aircraft is.

Then I'd suggest that the dot does not become recognised until it has been stared at for a time dependent on difficulty level and distance. Once these factors are satisfied, then it could be revealed as either friendly, enemy, or perhaps unknown.

Again, difficulty levels could determine how much info is given once recognition is achieved.

Just thoughts, you understand. Good thread.