View Single Post
Old 08-17-2009, 06:01 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaopang View Post
it wasn't until the very end, when the story turned everything around for me and made me realize how well done the game was.
Well, I finished the game, and wanted to share my opinion. As I have already shared my impression after playing half of the game, I would write it here as well.

You said that the game would make sense by the end and the plot would show its grandioseness, so that I was waiting for it... but nothing happened. I saw no impressive climax. There was an explanation why the ship went into collision (it had to do with the captain), but I would hardly call it "story turning around". And the settings and textures were bland. In short, I was more disappointed by the game than I was impressed.

From the positive sides, though, I would mention that in the past 1/4 of the game, the psychological atmosphere became more intense; that's the reflection of the lives of the Russians themselves. This feature of psychological intensity was unique among its western-made counterparts, and I welcomed this given my background. There was a couple of the genuinely new findings (interaction with the characters on the screen and fighting alongside the boss rather than against -- which I suspect will be picked up by the other developers). Oh, and I was having this annoying bug, when the enemy approaches closer than a certain distance, I fire the weapon, but instead the shot, my weapon switches to another, and I get the constant switching of weapons. With this bug I was able to get through half of the game, but when the game shoved a couple of hard enemies against me, I called it a quit, and activated the godmode.