View Single Post
Old 08-18-2009, 11:07 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaopang View Post
ah i see. well, if dark messiah bored you, then it most likely is not for you. i found it to be a great first person action adventure that had a cool and very varied fighting system, especially since you can use your own style of fighting, be it magic, force or sneakiness. throw in great level design and stunning visuals and you get a pretty unique medieval game. actually, i only wanted to see how the graphics would look maxed out on my gtx and ended up beating it and i didn't regret it. still looks great despite its age.

i like your idea with the axe. that wouldn't need a mod though, as all you'd have to do is just limit yourself to that weapon. and i agree, more flexible and mobile enemies add a lot of creepiness to a game. that's why dark messiah ranks way higher on my list in that regard. i remember how it surprised me when i attacked an enemy from a tower, just to find him climb up a ladder to kill me. others jumped huge gaps to get to me in other parts, so cryostasis sure would profit from it. today i outsmarted cryostasis' ai, which lead me to believe that it would take a lot more than just to open doors and spawn more enemies. remember the start of level 2? you run down a ladder and get a mental echo, where an engineer is being attacked by a servant. the servant then attacks you in your time. i ran back and up the ladder, having to crouch to get past some icicles, while this guy just ran through them. i dropped down and ran as far into the level as i could without taking the next weapon (the valve). i just stayed around the corner next to the valve. i heard the servant coming, but he never got to me. when i risked a peek, he was standing there, his back being turned to me, staring at the stairs...i attacked him from behind and he didn't even react, other then falling down dead. so my conclusion is, that the ai is really limited. enemies spawn directly ahead of you and apparently the ai is limited to send an attack order to the enemy. once they lose you, that seems to render them useless, so there would have to be a lot more work done to make them chase you, or even gang up on you in an intelligent fashion, for example like in stalker.
But if some of the enemies have guns it wouldn't be good just using the axe. You don't bring an axe to a gun fight. LOL

I think the AI needs to see you before they will chase. Have you ever managed to get to the next room after they see you and see if they follow? There are a couple of times in the game where there are two enemies or more at once and they all go after you. Are scripts between games similar? Maybe it would be possible to copy some scripting over from a game with better AI? If nothing else just doubling the amount of enemies at once would suffice, but I thought it would be awesome if they opened the doors on you. As you approach the door you see the handle move and hear the creaking of it opening. It could be the boss, the welder dude or the spider. And as you run back to get ready another one approaches from the door behind you. lol

I just ordered a GTX 295 because of the great Bing cashback offer so I will try the game with the 295 for graphics and a 260 for PhysX. Maybe I can run it at 1080p with caustics and reflections back on. If not the GT300 should and I get 90 days to step up to it.

Last edited by shaq; 08-18-2009 at 11:22 PM.