View Single Post
Old 08-15-2009, 08:55 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunhaver View Post
Well I went into config.cfg and as it turned out, the only problem was that the resolution was set too high for my monitor to handle. Great mod by the way! You should get a Nobel prize for this.
thank you, but a nobel prize for that little work would be too much. i'd settle for money instead lol

thanks for figuring the problem out. i totally forgot to change the resolution to a lower value before distribution. oh well, it's always the obvious that gets overlooked

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaq View Post
Are they specified per room on the level scripts? I haven't counted but there might be 30-40 rooms per level including echoes. lol It would take an afternoon to modify the whole game.
well, it's not that easy. the level scripts are nothing more than a conglomerate of procedure calls. those have to contain the enemy numbers and spawning positions. i had only glaced over that by the time i wrote that, so i still don't know

Quote:
Maybe you could make a water grenade weapon while you're at it? lol That's my idea for a new weapon. Maybe a water balloon would work better? lol

lol may be i could make nesterov use an icicle as a weapon? may be i could also use them regain his health by eating them? i like your weapon idea, but it wouldn't go well with the storyline of the game (ok, same goes for the watergun, but that's a bit more believable)

are you sure there are that many rooms per level? i think a level rather has less than 20 of them and only the fewest even have enemies in them.

Quote:
I think with 5 on up it required a 64 bit OS. I just downloaded Win 7 RC x64 so I could try it out. I think you can still get it until next week. It might take you that long to get 10 though. lol There aren't many places to dl it yet. I got it off a torrent and it took over a day to get it. Almost all the textures are high-res and it includes mods for all three now (HL2 and EP1 and EP2). Wait you mean you were waiting for episode 3 right? When that comes out it will be up to 12-13 and will be about 22GB. lol
yeah i meant ep 3. i just checked the whole thing out. the last official release was 9.5, which you can grab at filefront. 10 is still beta and will still see quite some changes before its final release. i won't get it yet, because according to a news site, the final version will feature an alyx-model that is closer to the hl2-original. the same news site also offered a http-download of the beta, so i have no urge to get it now (or hdd space lol). i guess i will wait till ep3 comes out and download cm then. it will see massive changes, because i think ep 3 will use new engine features and fakefactory always ported those to the older hl2 versions.

Quote:
I believe the number in the init.cfg is the total number at one time. So as new sparks/bullets/icicles/water appear the old ones have to disappear to keep it under the maximum value.
i thought that at first too, but i'm not so sure any more. i made some tests with the fluid bullet value. i raised it to 100.000 with interesting results. it eliminated the water gun's range and set it to zero. it also caused the gun to spill out a constant water stream, even if you don't use it. it poured out so much water that it covered the floor that i was walking on. in other words, it turned the gun into a fawcett lol. i made a screenshot:

the amount of water is hard to see, but it surpasses that of the gun in regular mode.

one thing's for sure. there is no limitation in the drivers. it wouldn't make any sense. the driver's task is to give programmers access to the hardware. it's up to them to decide how they want to use it. take furmark for example. simple graphics, yet highly straining benchmark. then take fluidmark which is the equivalent for physics. the les sources of a card you use (polygon count for example), the more you have for other tasks (physics) so any limitation would kill the hardware's efficiency by forcing a balance. this would also make the drivers incompatible to new hardware, or overclocked regular models.

Quote:
You mean the movie when you start a new game? I leave AF off and when I start a new game the movie starts and then I hit esc to skip it.
exactly, but before you see that movie there is a black screen with a hermann hesse citation. it seems that the american version has a bug that prevents this message from showing when you have AF turned off. in the european one, this bug doesn't seem to exist. there's also an epilogue, so if you missed those, you should check the beginning and the ending with AF turned on

Quote:
of the game. Is there a way for enemies to open doors? Just imagine you just shot two baddies and you take a breath and relax and then BOOM! the door opens just as you were getting ready to walk out. lol I'm pretty sure that is possible. Or even open up the door behind you as you are leaving. It would make the game much better and more intense. Right now it is kind of like Doom 3 where only a couple of enemies are on the screen at one time. Or like on the movie screen when the boss pops out, maybe they could just appear in front or behind you.
true, the enemy spawning is much like in doom 3. i doubt that they are programmed to open doors, because the spawning is always triggered when you are pretty close to them. you could try to run away and see if they follow you, but in the few cases where i wanted to track back, i found doors locked that just had granted me access, so there...

speaking of intense games, try dark messiah of might and magic. there the enemies not just charge at you, but also follow you throughout the levels, up ladders and so on. there is basically no save location. pretty refreshing and quite surprising if you don't know about that. assassin's creed is similar, but less intense.