View Single Post
Old 04-22-2009, 07:46 PM
Registered Member

I say this is the best FPS since 99 or 03 when Halo 1 came out the reason I say that Halo 1 was made for the PC(even if it was published on the Xbox) it was more open and better developed than the MS bastard children of Halo 2-3 and most modern shooters are devoid of exploration opting for full gun and run themes that are wholly bland and boring. Even bioshock and FO3 were heavily watered down from what it should have been into a safe and bland utterly rushed to market FPS wanna be RPG… it’s just most FPSs feel like they work on some core elements to rush it to market making it feel like nothing gets finished *rant rant rant*

Jericho was a nightmare and not in a good way…Clive Bakers undying was a excellent game so was call of cuthulu despite the issues they had. Quake 4 and Doom 3 are respective jokes D3 being much too small and too bland in level layouts, Quake 4 suffers from the same bland levels limited weapons and items…. Quake 2 is almost a master piece of gameplay… it’s nice to have a story but not at the cost of gameplay or fun…. Halo 1 is great but Halo 2 and Halo 3 felt simplified and rushed focusing far too much on its multilayer side letting the core game fall to the waste side….And don't get me started on unreal... the Half life series fared better but still feels like its missing something...

Before I start on Necrovision I have played a lot of the “Russian bloc”(apologies if that term is offensive) games Dark watch(I think was developed somewhere in Europe), Alpha Prime, Call of Juarez the games have a older feel tot eh design focus less about graphics and gun and run themes and more about quirky gameplay . I appreciate the pre modern FPS design focus even if they can get mired in it trying to keep up appearance small levels gun and run themes,ect.

Now on to Necrovision

Note: I love the use of on the fly loosely scripted one liners brings back memories of duke and Blood even if they badly used and sometimes sound like 2 different people….it’s just fun!! Also LOVE the exploration and secrets it’s nice to see them well used in a FPS game again….

What this game lacks is continuity checks and quality control, once you start fighting zombies and watch the story boards between chapters or any dialog between the main character and anything…. It becomes that much more clear but frankly who cares it just adds to the quirky B horror movie feel!
I mean if I wanted to nitpick the one liners the zombies put out are mostly reused lines from their living counter parts and that zombies care about being stabbed…. Also the phantom can be damaged by bullets but not anything else…. Quite annoying… I soooo wanted to shove a couple bayonets up its arse…

More nitpicking but on easier to fix things Pistol aim is a joke, I hate iron sights as is but it’s horrible maybe because its meant to be a short range weapon.

From some research I did of the Luger and colt .45 the luger is more accurate and powerful than a colt .45 but for the sake of gameplay we need a better difference the colt could be 50% more powerful but 30% less accurate and the Lugar could be more accurate but I like a solid perceivable difference in like weapons.. COJ drove me crazy with only a few weapons being any different.. that and the pistol is just much to weak…. It’s a frigging BB gun…. but I guess its meant to be used in combos not head shots from afar……. Though one of the pistols needs to be a more powerful…
Or another thought reduce all weapons by 30% damage wise and then stack it 10% for each vampieric artifact you find.

I am playing the game on hard mode and it’s too easy, I’d like a much slower heal rate maybe by a quarter of current speed or just have a toggle slider 100%-0% in 25% blocks and get rid of the weak slow mo allow the character to access the super slow mode by hitting adrenaline if you are out of adrenaline your dead if you take too much damage but if you have some of it remaining the normal adrenaline if burst will kick on when you take too much damage. Also instead of regeneration gaining health via combos might make the game all the better. A simple option to chose it and regeneration rate would be great as well as changing adrenaline slow speeds (turn the normal into the emergency burst without the damage protection) .
Bayonet/grenades really need less mass for collision its always sticking/bouncing off of a wall just by the character or where I am aiming it at. Also the character itself can get to close to a wall nullifying melee and kicks.

If there is any melee head shots they need better collision unless those where random combos I was pulling off…
Invisible walls are a no no in my book and are undeeded 99% of the time they are blatantly over used and just horrible in the4 The hill chapter, some barbed wire bits can’t be gotten over but can be if you use the terrain I think it’s better to place rubble+ on the outside of the map and use rubble+ barbed wire on the inside to make sure that obstacles are one way or simply un traversable.

The first part of the fortress has a roof top that’s unblocked until you start fighting bosses and then a invisible wall shows up..that’s quite annoying and undeeded……

Also it would be nice if you had a secret counter on the objectives list, also it would be really awesome if the levels replayed through the challenge room had teleportation spots so you can get past any and all one way blockages in a chapter and have full access to it without the of restarting a level to get back somewhere add in a lot of respawning zombies and what not for more fun to be had. Also put one in the middle of a level to take you to the end or the beginning of a chapter.

I need to play it more to get more ideas on what else the game could use to be great.

All in all Necrovision has good level design fun weapons and abilities and a AI built on keeping the player active wish there was a bit more stealth in the game but all in all this is a great action FPS and one of the better ones I have played on PC or the console in nary a decade!