Thread: PS3 Joysticks
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2009, 04:35 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by versapak View Post
For the Ace Edge, the throttle and rudder use the analog of triggers. The main flight stick is the left stick, and the view stick is the right analog stick.

On the 360 the AV8R-02 uses those same functions thanks to a standard that MS has made for flight sticks on 360.
Ah ok I see now. So the AV8R uses 10 analog directions after-all by having only 1 direction each for throttle and rudder. The TM sticks use 10 aswell but the throttle and rudder both have 2 directions (like on the gamepad) giving it twice the accuracy of the AV8R. The Trustmasters use the final two analog directions for gun trigger buttons? Where the AV8R (and the Ace Pro) must have digital trigger buttons.

Now I believe the rudder problem on the AV8R is not because it is on/off but because there is just not enough range in just one analog direction, so you can't get the accuracy you want with the stick twist. I think this also explains why you can't get the wheel brakes to work, because the game's throttle was designed for the 2 directions and the point of braking is quite small (smaller than the point WEP kicks in at the top of the range). This braking point is twice as small when you half accuracy and the AV8R isn't designed to the same quality as the Ace pro and cannot find the spot.

{EDIT: Bit of a brain malfuntion for me there. Braking point wouold be twice as large not small, I guess they had too decrease the size of it otherwise you would be braking when the throttle was in around a 25% position. They just decreased it too much for the AV8R to see it.}

So if the developers want the Av8R to work properly they need to add a setting which slows rudder movement by a half and add a setting to lower the increments that the throttle goes up in (maybe in 2% or 5%). This would allow for a bigger zone for braking.

This is all my best guess work though, I could be completly wrong lol

Last edited by Robotic Pope; 08-29-2009 at 04:49 PM.