Thread: PS3 Joysticks
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2009, 11:38 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotic Pope View Post
So how does the Ace edge actually manage that? You must have to use a shift button for one of the analog controls?

I don't have a stick yet so I'm no expert but I thought the whole problem with the configs is that there aren't enough analog directions available on the consoles. Obviously you need one 4 direction analog stick for flight controls, 1 analog direction for the throttle(The control pad uses the left analog stick but I seems to me it is acting as just a digital in the up down directions of the throttle), 4 analog directions for the hat and finally 2 directions for the rudder. 11 total directions. Unfortunatly thats 1 too many for the PS3 and 360.

I guess the AV8R was designed with too many analog directions so you could chose in its software which ones it used when used on a PC.

So anyway the AV8R has to have digital on/off rudder because all the extra analog directions are used up by the analog hat free look (you wouldn't really want an analog left rudder, digital right rudder or vice verse, would you). And the thrustmaster config has to be creative to find space for only 4 of the 8 digital buttons on the hat (I'm guessing it uses the 4 diagonal directions of the D-pad?)

I really think that both the AV8R config and Thrustmaster config will need to use one button as a shift key. So thrustmaster could have the whole 8 directions of the D-pad assigned to the hat free look, then hold a button and it would become wingman commands. The AV8R isn't as easy, it would need to have a button to switch from rudder control to free look but I think you would have to have the rudder on the hat because I'm not sure a duplicate control can be set for the stick twist to be the same as left/right on the hat.

Anyway you can really see how difficult it all is for the developers.
I see what you mean, but if you would assign the throttle to r2 and rudder to L2 where 50% is no rudder 0% is left rudder and 100% is right rudder wouldn't that solve the problem?