View Single Post
Old 05-18-2009, 12:21 PM
Registered Member

I'm sorry Meep, but you are comparing really inapropriately.
1CoH and MoW are two totally different things. While MoW tries to implement as many features of a real war as possible, CoH tries to be an action-packed RTS, inheriting years and years of RTS tradition and experience. There are pros and cons in both games:
MoW:
Pros:
+ realism
+ inventory for all units
+ totally dynamic battlefield
+ a lot of different units
+ very long SP campaign
+ coop mode
+ a lot of customizations possible
+ giant maps

Cons:
- unbalanced due to super heavy tanks and generally the amount of possible unit combinations
- bad interface due to the many possibilities you have
- bad hotkey assignment: CTRL is for making control groups, dammit, it's been so even before C&C 1
- not being able to have more than 8 units in a control group, restricting the player to micromanaging his whole army, when a simple "all guys move over here" would have been enough
- no skirmish mode
- steep learning curve
- very bad voice acting (at least in my German version, ALL vocies are spoked by like 3 guys who have a very bad English, not only when synchronizing Germans. In fact, even Soviets and Americans have a German accent!)
- giant maps (if you want arcade-like action)

CoH:
+ fast-paced action: Due to the command point/resource system, you are constantly forced to push and cap/defend your resources and produce new units
+ squad-based control: different from MoW, the amount of micro needed to manage a squad is reduced by making all of its members one squad. Thus, it's easy to control your whole army.
+ Unit & Command abilities: brings some fresh air into the action, can turn the tide of a battle; games would be much more predictable without them
+ well-balanced RTS: no matter how much the people bitch about CoH after every single patch, you can beat every army with every army. There is a counter to everything, also to British Emplacement Spam (e.g. Flamepio Storm)
+ Long SP campaign with top-notch videos
+ Good voice acting, in English AND German
+ three new MP modes came with ToV
+ SKIRMISH mode

Cons:
- not very realistic (although a lot better than, say, End War or Command & Conquer)
- unit speed: infantry is almost as fat as slower tanks, fireup infantry is faster than heavy axis tanks
- Unlimited Munitions and Ammo, no supply lines
- relatively small maps (Mg's and PAKs can easily block every access to a certain area)
- Relic Online still lets players drop or doesn't allow you to connect to another player, even if he lives like 3 streets away from you
- some abilities really are Uber and make people build their whole strategy on: cloak + nades on stormtroops, fireup on rangers
- allround-units: especially Americans have units that can basically kill anything on the field (rangers, rifles to a smaller degree), without a cost-efficient counter on the Axis side.
- micro is what matters, not so much your strategy

To draw a conclusion:
If you want a very realistic, very tactical game where you have to cover your every move, and like combos such as "Oh yeah, my 3 hidden snipers deal with infantry, while my grenadier jumps out of the tank and kills the pershing with an AT grenade, while my tank kills the enemy arty with HE rounds", then MoW is your game.
If you prefer action, a limited, yet well-balanced amout of units, and a game where your reactions and hotkey-smashing wins you the game, pumping your adrenaline though your veins, then CoH is the game for you.