View Single Post
Old 08-24-2016, 12:20 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CzechTexan View Post
IMO I still think the Ki-27 is tougher than it should be.
Sadly, reworking DM so that they match the high quality of the FM in the game would require a huge amount of effort, almost a new game. It's a shame that IL2 was so careful with its flight models, but its damage models are so mediocre and so error-ridden.

I think that the Ki-27, A6M2, and Ki-43-I, being roughly contemporary planes, mostly built to higher pre-war quality standards, from the same materials, should all be equally vulnerable in the fuselage, stabilizers or wings. But that it should be much tougher to break wings, stabilizers, or fuselages on any plane due to damage alone (vs. damage from G forces + battle damage). Planes are big machines which are built to take extreme forces; putting a few small holes in them usually isn't going to make them fall apart.

The Ki-27, A6M2, and Ki-43-I are all desperately vulnerable to fuel tank hits, which is realistic, except for the fact that it should require a minimum of 2 bullets - one explosive or incendiary - to start any fuel fire. Also, since all three planes had wing fuel tanks right next to the wing spar, fuel fires or explosions should quickly cause wing failure, as well as injury to the pilot.

All three planes are also extremely vulnerable to crew hits, which is also realistic.

Fix the errors in the Ki-27's DM, and make all three planes approximately equal in ability to absorb engine, airframe, and control surface damage, and I'll be happy.

Last edited by Pursuivant; 08-24-2016 at 12:29 AM.