Thread: SolidWorks
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2016, 10:59 PM
Approved Member

Well there has been a model mapping issue that has bugged me for a long, long time, it is to do with the mapping of the upper halves of the cannon pods for the Do335 V13. For the most part mapping issues can generally be resolved through clever manipulation of the publicly accessible skins, however in this case the issue can only be solved at the mapping level, I was able to tweak out all the other mapping issues on this skin but there is just no way to tweak out this one.

This is caused by having two differently placed source locations for the mapping of the upper gun pods resulting in each having asymmetric panelling details.
(the lower portions of the pods do not have this issue as they are sourced from the same two locations of the underside of the rear fuselage, from memory).

The chosen locations also tend to create difficulties with matchups of custom paint schemes.

In the following image (1.) you can see on this portion of the skin (tweaked default skin by the way) where the mapping is currently sourced from (Yellow and Green), while the area that I've outlined in red would seem to be a far better candidate for this mapping. I say this because in all the skins that I have looked at this area seems to have the most consistent match regardless of the paint scheme type that has been applied.

1. Portion of skin as seen in Photoshop

2. This is how said skin relates to the model as when seen in the loading screen

Now you're probably wondering how any of the above relates to this particular thread, well any competent modeller could solve this in a matter of minutes, and if a TD member (or anyone else for that matter) would like to fix it then that would be great, however this may also be an excellent exercise for a novice to learn how mapping is related to a model, as it would not require any 3D remodelling or even any changes to the existing default or custom skins to correct.

When I finally do get hold of 3ds Max (I still have to wait for my son to get his student enrollment finalised, which could be another 2 or 4 weeks) I could take a look at doing it myself.