View Single Post
Old 01-22-2016, 12:04 PM
Approved Member

Yes the beauty of COD, BOS and BOM (and the arcadeness of Warthunder) are steadily thinning the ranks here, but as had been said in the past none of the current WWII Sims is able to match the sheer breadth of content that is Il2 1946, and the high end requirements of the serious titles is still a limiting factor for many.

I remember when Janes WWII fighters was at it zenith with so much fantastic mod work being done, then this plucky little russian sim came along with by comparison low resolution skins, but having much larger aircraft list to choose from and more realistic flight models, along with a continual expansion support from the developer something not seen to that extent by any previous sim, meant that with within one or two years almost all the community had moved over to Il2 Sturmovik.

I dare say that if any of the current WWII titles had anything approaching the breadth of content that even the original IL2 Sturmovik had back then, then I'm sure this place would be a complete ghost town, but that there's still life in the old girl has been proven both by TD and the external modding community time and time again.

My wish (nee desire) going forward is that one day all the flyables in this sim will have cockpits to at least the minimum Fw-190, Tempest, Do-335, J8A (just to name a few), etc as the rule and not as the exceptions, and then who knows with that maybe we can get another 15 years out of her.