Thread: 4.13 release
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2015, 08:03 AM
Approved Member

Definitely some nice AI improvements that aren't advertised in the patch.

* AI fighters vs. bombers now doesn't suck, and AI fighters actually make some intelligent attacks.

* As far as I can tell, bombers hold formation until the formation gets badly shot up.

* Ace AI gunners are now formidable, but not unbeatable. They're not too dangerous until you get close, but they will rip you to shreds at close ranges especially if you don't keep your speed up, and if you don't maneuver to make yourself a tough target.

* AI gunners don't fire during high-G maneuvers anymore.

I set up a QMB mission with 4 Ace P-40E vs. 16 Ace Wellington III and set my plane to autopilot. Arcade mode on.

On the first pass, the entire flight maneuvered to take the Wellington III flight at the right end of the usual "line abreast" formation, and my AI pilot made a lovely head-on pass from 12 o'clock high shot at the trailing bomber in the flight. Right out of the textbook!

The P-40 flight then maneuvered for shots from the flank against the same section of Wellingtons, jinking and weaving as they flew in to avoid fire and then making shallow "pursuit curve" attacks from 5 o'clock or 7 o'clock level.

The historically laser-like Wellington tail gunners started opening up at 700 meters (a bit long), but their fire was mostly inaccurate until about 100 meters out, and they had trouble keeping their sights on the quickly rolling P-40s. So, that's a sign that AI gunnery has been toned down.

Most of the flight made it, but my plane got bracketed by two of the Wellingtons at 100 meters or less. With dozens of bullets in the engine, it developed a huge coolant leak and the engine instantly died. But . . . NO FIRE or giant clouds of smoke. So, definitely a DM upgrade for the P-40!

The rest of the flight disenaged smartly and continued to attack, making high and level rear quarter attacks against the remaining Wellies in the flight until they were all shot down. They then turned their attention to the second flight and began to massacre them using very aggressive and fairly intelligent attacks.

Lots of good maneuvering using the P-40's superior roll, and lots of diving attacks from "high rear" just high enough to stay out of the cone of the Wellington tail gunner's guns.

I watched one P-40 follow an isolated Wellington into a half loop (!), following it at 6 o'clock high/level, and noticed that there was no defensive fire. Presumably the gunners were stuck to the bomber's roof by g-forces. If that's so, then another nice improvement.

Net result was 3 P-40's steaming from coolant leaks, 2 badly shot up enough that they had to crash land, with one returning to base, and one lucky survivor. 8 Wellingtons shot down out of a squadron of 16. Not bad for an ace vs. ace AI QMB mission.

The P-40 series is now officially the rugged warbird that it was always meant to be. Now let's see if they've fixed the DM for the P-39 series!