View Single Post
Old 11-06-2008, 09:29 PM
Approved Member

I think the problem here is with the phrase "I don't see anything that makes ..." - just because you don't see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

In my current game (just entered demon area - paladin on hard) here are the things i noticed (compared to my mage on hard and warrior on hard):
I *think* I am a level+ higher when entering area - perhaps because I took some of the bonus exp skills
I *know* I have higher number of total skills because I converted many of my mind runes into warrior/mage runes
My stats are much more balanced and quite high (approx 20 15 15 for attack/defense/int) so I hit much harder than mage.
For the two hardest fights (demon area/elven undead) my attack will be +15 due to paladin skills.
My items find has been quite good (just lucky or perhaps something is tilted towards paladin).
-
I almost did not play paladin game and when I started it I thought it would be a waste of time (and a bit of a pain in some situations). I've been amazed at how easy the game is (compared to the warrior/mage games).

I have not played on impossible so I cannot compare the classes at that level but I feel that I can compare them on hard.

I guess an open question is if I had built my warrior the same as my paladin (i.e, kept the stats more balanced) would there still be a difference - I suspect the extra level and skill against deamon/undead helps more than anticipated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travcm View Post
I don't see anything at all that makes the paladin more powerful than the mage. The Paladin basically gets extras of the useless runes, bonuses to non-threatening undead, and a miniscule amount of extra leadership. Endgame, as a mage, you cast 2 spells per turn, 3 times per battle, and will have to runes (if you didn't waste any) to max all of the worthwhile skills. The Paladin is clearly inferior as a single one of those extra casts can be used to cast phantom for a zero loss army that more than compensates for the leadership differences.