View Single Post
Old 10-04-2008, 12:45 PM
Registered Member

Default Need bigger disparity between player class

I loved KB back when I was a kid, HOMM helped me continue the flame for good turn-based strategy game. The KB:TL demo was really cool to begin with, nothing more can be said abt that. But I find it a huge disappointment later in the game; not only the non-replayable factor, the basic player class are just too blindly similar.

Each of the class shld have distinct AND powerful abilities.

Warrior Class
2 words: Brute force. Warriors should have very strong Attack &/or Defence advances after each level up. And at least +2 for both Attack/Defence should be a given for each levelup even when the user chooses neither. And addition +2 for the picked upgrade.

Mage Class
Mage shld be have same power as Warrior in magical sense to make these 2 classes even and worth playing. I had thought this is being addressed with the [Higher Magic] attribute, but it merely boosts spell casting to 2 per turn and max 3 times per battle is laughable. There should be at least spell level 4 upgrades for Mages, setting it distinctly apart from other classes. By level 4, there should introduce mass effects for most if not all of the spells, other than even more powerful spells. There should be endless spell casting in entire battle for mages and increase from basic 2x per turn to 3 on+after level10, 4x on+after level20, 5x at level30 (can cast spell at each unit turn).

Paladin Class
Paladin being the mix of warrior & mage can be hard to balance with other classes. The focus being on [Mind] should be natively enhancing own troops' use of their ability; like Mage's [Higher Magic] ability, but enhances each unit's unique non-rechargeable spell/skills in each battle to 2x after Paladin's new ability upgrade, and 4x on+after level10, 8x on+after level20, 16x on+after level30. Battles that take more than 16 turns & use of unit spell/skill is too long in my opinion, well I could be wrong as everyone's style of play is different.

The above is just building on top of the existing game features, so it won't be hard to implement as patch or addon to enhance gameplay. But after playing through entire game once, replaying again the same thing all over again is most dry and tasteless... but either way, this would be a great enhancement to this already great game. There are even more desireable game features which will totally set this game apart from other turn-based games but let's not go there here.

Jem

P.S. there's a minor error/bug(?) where Lake Dragonfly has mixed up hover description/tip for Weakness & Fire Resistance.

Last edited by Jem; 10-04-2008 at 12:51 PM.