View Single Post
Old 12-31-2013, 07:41 AM
Approved Member

Default Gunsight glass edge: opaque or transparent?

Hey guys,

I noticed something about the edges of gunsights: in some planes they are transparent, in some the are opaque, in some they are very thick, and some gunsights don't seem to have any thickness or glass edge to them at all.

When the edge is very thick and opaque (not transparent), it can be distracting when aiming. The Yak9 is probably the worst plane for this, particularly since it also has the thick bullet-proof windscreen with opaque edges. The other Yaks and the I-16 are also pretty bad for this. The gunsight edge on the LaGGs and La's is also opaque, but a bit thinner. Spitfires also have a thick edge on the gunsight that you can't see through.

The German planes on the other hand don't seem to have any thickness to their gunsights at all, it's like looking through a little piece of plastic wrap.

On American and Japanese planes it's inconsistent. The P47 has a thick, opaque gunsight edge almost as bad as the Yaks. The Zeros and J2Ms have a thinner, opaque edge. The P51 has a very thin and opaque edge, the P40 has a transparent edge, the P38 has a semi-transparent gunsight edge, and the Ki84 has a thick edge that is perfectly transparent.

Anyway, is this all "historically accurate," or is the way each gunsight edge shown in game just a guess by whoever modeled it? I would think that glass is glass, some of it may be of better quality than other, some gunsights may be thicker than others, but I don't see why some gunsight edges should be opaque, some transparent, and some in-between.

Just a minor detail, but it is noticeable and sometimes distracting when flying the Yaks, the Spits, and the P47.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Yak9cropped.jpg (75.6 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg P40Mcropped.jpg (119.7 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg Bf109G2.jpg (128.3 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg Spitfire1942.jpg (111.3 KB, 60 views)

Last edited by Woke Up Dead; 12-31-2013 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Yak 9, not Yak9B is worst for thick gunsight edge