View Single Post
Old 06-13-2013, 12:24 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPS69 View Post
Man, get used on the metric system. The USA, is almost the last place on earth still officialy using imperials. The british are slowly accepting them, but for once changing anyway.

If you need converting so much just mentally multiply by 3. If you want precision, after mutliplying, add 10%. You may also multiply by 3.3

If you want it in yards, just multiply meters by 1.1, or add a 10%.

I agree that instruments on brittish and american aircraft are in imperials, but for using Icons, nowadays a mere offline activity, come on!

Still, I guess that the answer to your question, is undoubtedly, YES!... but in two weeks...
You may not appreciate how hard it is to make the conversion to metric measures for the Brits and us Americans (who have the double penalty of our crappy basic educational system). I'm sure it was just as hard for your ancestors converting to metric a century or two ago, but it's hard to grow up in one system of weights, volume and measures and then convert to a new one, no matter how logical it is.

Y'know, I've been doing the math in my head ever since the late 1960s when I was swimming competitively in pools measured by yards for my high school team and then swimming in pools measured in meters for my AAU team during the summers, but metric isn't really 'real' to me. I just never got the same feeling of accomplishment from doing a 500m Freestyle in under 5:30 that I got from doing a quarter mile Free in under 4:15...

I can look at a piece of lumber and know instantly that it's an inch thick and about 6 feet long by about 15 inches wide, but I have to do the math in my head to get the metric equivalents--and even then, if I don't write them down, I'll have to do it all over again later. When I'm trying to do an acceleration comparison and noting the altitude variations between 10kph intervals, a climb or a drop of 30 m doesn't sound like much until I realize that hey, that's as high as a building at least eight stories high (no wonder I lost a second or two compared to the more level intervals in other runs)!

Have a little compassion for us ignoramuses.

cheers

horseback