View Single Post
Old 01-13-2013, 01:42 PM
Registered Member

Default About difficulty in general...

It has annoyed me for over 10 years that there seems to be little or no development regarding difficulty in games.

It is not ok that the game handles difficulty only by simple adjustments of enemy troop numbers or similar methods. It is very cheap and uncreative. Don't get me wrong, it is better to have those settings than nothing. But I expect more from games these days.

In my opinion, games should start not being too difficult (to avoid turning away inexperienced players). But then progress to be more difficult by complexity and improved AI mechanics. This is possible, just not easy. But this is what makes a good game great in the long run.

One example is enemy spell use and troop targeting: It seems very random and/or poorly programmed. Hit us where it hurts!

Another example is enemy mages: Very underpowered in the spell and intellect department, which makes them just another "troop kill" with a little effects blended in. Make enemy NPC Battles different!

A third example is lack of choices on the strategic level. Add challenges to getting equipment, spells, troops, etc. Make us choose sides and take the consequence of our actions.

Also, why not make battlegrounds and castle attacks more interesting? Add obstacles and defence towers of various types. Why not expand the battlegrounds a little to make use of various terrain, objects and other stuff in a more tactical way?

This is a good game, but it is a little too simple. It would be great if it would add depth as the game progresses.