View Single Post
Old 10-16-2012, 08:16 AM
Approved Member

Salute

I retested online on ATAG tonight after first verifying my Steam install to the official patch, then downloading a new copy of the new patch and installing it after deleting cache.

I still got the misfiring and engine shudders in both the Hurricane I 100 octane and Spitfire IA 100 octane, with the Spitfire's onset being approx. 8-9000 ft, and the Hurricane at about 14-15,000.

Contrary to my previous impression, this time after more experimentation I've decided the issue is brought on mostly by the level of boost used, and that rpm has very little to do with it, except at very high altitudes.

No way to prove it, but I suspect this has something to do with the negative G cutout modelling and is also related to the modelled brief engine stutters and coughs which happen at any altitude when you increase throttle rapidly on the Merlins. My impression is the negative G is somehow activated by the sudden yaw of the aircraft, or perhaps the torque of the engine when throttle is suddenly opened, or at higher altitudes when higher throttle is used.

In any case, it shouldn't be characteristic of the Merlin.