View Single Post
Old 08-07-2012, 02:12 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraveyardJimmy View Post
I think it is also worth mentioning that there is another bug with Nvidia cards that I suffered from that can cause real problems with gaming and is difficult to pin down. I wasn't sure about sharing the last half of the fix as it can cause irreparable damage to your GPU and is not recommended unless you cannot fix it. It worked for me but I wouldn't easily tell other people to do it- use at your own risk.

Symptoms: You sometimes get good fps when running applications but then other times get poor fps until reboot. This happens seemingly randomly.

I noticed this when playing league of legends. I would get major FPS issues, down from 60fps to a stuttery 28, this continued in other games- including RO2 and CLoD.

It can be a problem in the GTX460 but I have heard of it in other cards, different fixes seem to be required based on the card.

It is caused by the card not triggering into the full 3d power mode and staying in 2d/powerful 2d mode which gives half the clock speed, testable by (for example) MSI afterburner in game.

Fixes:
1- Update drivers (most usually fixes it). This fixes the bug with the power states for some people. Completely uninstalling the old ones first can make a difference.

If it persists:
2- Set power management mode to prefer maximum performance in NVIDIA control panel.

The final fix is dangerous and I would not recommend doing it unless you are very comfortable with making system changes. I have only heard of this fix needing to be done on specific cards (like mine): the Gigabyte GTX460 (1gb, overclocked version). IF you don't have this card, dont try it as I dont want people to get angry with me for sharing this fix.

Gigabyte have released a new BIOS for the GPU (not mb) which fixes problems in power states. This was the only fix that would stop the GPU from clocking down after having switched to 2D rendering back to 3D. I will not link to it, but it is available on their website if you look for your model. Always make a backup of your GPU bios and do not attempt if you have fears about your PSU, power surges, internet corruption etc. Replacing the BIOS can brick your card if anything goes wrong.

As I said, this last option is only for specific cases. My friend only had to update drivers so don't forge ahead and do it anyway. This problem had been affecting me for months and was making gaming pretty bad. Sometimes I flew CLoD at 40fps, other times 15.

hmm , I have the same problem with my EVGA gtx460 and noticed that after a reboot the problem mostly goes away.I am still using the 103 beta driver.maybe i should get a newer driver?

amd dual core 5400
gtx460se
6gb ram
Win7 ultimate (performance mode)