View Single Post
Old 06-30-2008, 04:56 PM
Registered Member

Default Acquiring an eng.dat editor tool. (Language Clean Up file link inside)

(IMPORTANT NOTE: There are two separate english language dialogue clean-up files (eng.dat) available here. One is for your 1.3 Space Rangers 2, without Reboot installed, and one WITH the 2.0 Reboot expansion installed. Please make certain to get the correct one. The original thread, also with these links, is referenced below, for those that want to see it)

Latest Files:
1-5, for use with Space Rangers 2 v1.3 (On Date 6-18-2010)
2-4, for use with Space Rangers 2: Reboot v2.0 (On Date 6-18-2010)

Greetings all. I was wondering if it would be possible to acquire a tool that would allow for the editing of the eng.dat file, in 2.0. For the old 1.3 version, I had an .dat editor that worked great. I was involved in a project of my own to clean-up some of the dialogue in the game, as the english translation, from the original Russian, was not too great.

One of the original threads I created about it, with the download links available, can be viewed here: http://tgnforums.stardock.com/159208

With the release of the latest expansion, Space Rangers2: Reboot (version 2.00), the old .dat editor tool no longer is capable of properly opening the eng.dat file. There is the ability to extract everything to a .txt file, but that makes it slow going to edit. That .txt file is pretty big, haha.

I would love to continue my work on cleaning up the translation, as there seems to be some parts that need some work still (no offense intended to anyone). Is it possible for me to acquire such a tool from 1C, or perhaps Cinemaware? In addition, the .dat editor wasn't capable of providing editing capability for any of the text quests. There was a tool for that as well, but it doesn't seem to be working in 2.0 either. Would it be possible to obtain something capable of unpacking those text adventures, editing, and then packing them back in?

Any and all information would be greatly appreciated. And let me take the time to say, I LOVE this game, and thanks SO much for creating the Reboot expansion, as it has gotten me into the game all over again.

Last edited by Starcleaver; 06-19-2010 at 01:34 AM. Reason: Added download links for language file, and some clarity.