View Single Post
Old 07-23-2012, 09:49 AM
Approved Member

AoA, a more subtle approach would have brought a bit more credibility with it.

Here some observations from Eric Brown:

Regarding the vision from the cockpit it seems youve inserted the lines from the Bf109, as Eric Brown wrote in "Wings of the Luftwaffe" about the 262 at page 243 "View from the cockpit was excellent and every upper part of the aircraft was within the pilot's field of vision."

About the brakes he wrote on page 245 :"After lining up the aircraft on the runway, the engines were opened up to 8500 rpm on the brakes, and a check was made that the Zwiebel (onion), as the exhaust cone had been dubbed, was protruding from each orifice.
Full power of 8700 rpm was then applied and a quick check was made on the jetpipe temperature, burner pressure, and fuel pressure."
NO running take off!

About the handling characteristics he wrote on page 252:" The normal range of flight characteristics from aerobatic maneuvres to the stall revealed the Me 262 as a very responsive and docile aeroplane, leaving one with a confident impression of a first class combat aircraft for both fighter and ground attack roles. Harmony of controls was pleasant, with a stick force per 'g' of 2.72 kg (6lb) at mid-CG position and a roll rate of 360 degrees in 3.8 seconds at 645 km/h (400 mph) at 1525m (5000 ft)."

About the 'snaking' he wrote that the german engineers managed it better to tame it, during the war, than i.e. english engineers with the Meteor I, which had the same problems.

And yes, i hope to see the IL2 series again reaching 1945 and beyond.