View Single Post
Old 06-17-2012, 02:49 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonaut110 View Post
I've found a GeForce GT 640 within my budget and it's pretty small so I know it'll fit within my machine and It fits well within my PSU. Would that be a worthy buy for my system and would it fit me for the future and work well with everything I want it to work with? Or would I need a Dedicated Graphics chip for it?
The thing about graphics card numbers is that the first one is the year or series. So on that basis a GT 640 is probably better than a GT 540, but quite probably worse than a GT 550, though depending on how much progress the GPU maker made between the series GT 5xx and GT 6xx maybe not. You can depend on a say GT 610 being worse than a GTX 580, or even a GTX 480, but when it gets to a GTX 280 you have to look it up, in this case the GTX 280 would be considerably stronger, but IIRC there was no GTX 180.

Radeons are somewhat similar, a HD 7970 will be better than a HD 6970, but a HD 7870 is pretty similar, a HD7850 will be less powerful, and a 76xx will be much weaker.

This site seems to be useful:

http://www.gpureview.com/database.php

Please note that laptop GPUs use different but similar naming systems, typically laptop graphic cards are desktop graphic cards with higher numbers attached.

Last edited by Igo kyu; 06-17-2012 at 02:55 PM.